SugarCRM enables businesses to create extraordinary customer relationships with the most empowering, adaptable, and affordable customer relationship management (CRM) solution on the market. Faye’s Sugar Messaging is a messaging integration for Sugar users that can send personalized text and multimedia messages to the people in your Sugar database. With Sugar Messaging, you can create rich text and multimedia messages without a single line of code.
Table of Contents
1. About this guide
This guide covers all areas of the Faye Sugar Messaging product that relate to setup and general administration. It is intended to be used by the CRM admin responsible for setting up or managing the Sugar Messaging product for their company.
2. Before you get started
In order to complete the set up of your Sugar Messaging in your SugarCRM instance you’ll need to have the following:
- Admin level login info for the target SugarCRM
- A telephony plan with associated SMS numbers (see supported providers)
- Faye Sugar Messaging plugin for Sugar (zip file)
The setup of the Sugar Messaging product will require changes in your SugarCRM instance and possibly some configuration changes in your supported telephony platform. This guide will focus on the changes and configuration of your SugarCRM.
3. Supported Providers
At the time of this document writing Sugar Messaging supports the following telephony providers:
4. SugarCRM Configuration
This section covers the installation of the Sugar Messaging plugin for SugarCRM and how to configure and administer access to SMS numbers to users within Sugar.
A. Installing the Sugar Messaging plugin for SugarCRM
To install the Sugar Messaging package please follow the steps from this guide.
B. Configuring Sugar Messaging
With the Sugar Messaging plugin installed we can begin the configuration of the tool. This step looks at some basic compatibility checks, entering your license key and setting some important configuration choices. Let's get into it!
Return to the Administration page again. On the Administration page, scroll to find the Sugar Messaging section.
Select Sugar Messaging Configuration
Sugar Messaging Configuration
The Sugar Messaging Configuration area steps you through 3 sections, you can return here to update your configuration choices at any time:
- Pre-Checks: This Page outlines the 4 essential network and server settings that Sugar Messaging needs to function properly. Provided everything is good you can click next, otherwise, you’ll be prompted on-screen to items you may need to address.
- License Key: Enter the License Key as provided by Faye
- Settings: The settings include a number of items important for your setup, let's explore each of those below.
- AccountSid: Your account Sid
- AuthToken: The authentication token for your chosen telephony platform.
- Expiration Date: This shows the current expiration date of your Sugar Messaging license key.
- Days Until License Expired: This shows the number of days until the license key expiration date.
- Company Phone Number: Should anyone attempt to call one of your configured SMS numbers they will be forwarded to the “Company Phone Number” you specify here.
- Phone Number Format: Set here the preferred phone number formatting for Mobile phone numbers in your SugarCRM instance. All users in Sugar will see mobile numbers in the format selected here.
- Send Notification To: When an “Inbound” SMS message is received to any of your configured phone numbers it will create an inbound SMS record. Here you can additionally choose who should receive a Sugar Notification.
- The last person who sent a message: In this scenario, the Sugar notification will be generated for the user who last sent an SMS message from Sugar to the inbound number.
- The record owner: In this scenario, a notification will be sent to the owner (assigned user) of the Contact or Lead record associated with the inbound number.
- Enabled: This allows you to globally enable/disable the Sugar messaging functionality.
When you are happy with your choices click the Save Configuration Settings to save your changes.
If you are setting up Sugar Messaging in your system for the first time then you are not yet finished. You’ll need to import your Phone numbers in the Phone Numbers area and assign those to users. We cover this next!
The Phone Numbers area is where you can add and administer SMS phone numbers that you have configured for Sugar Messaging. Whether you are adding new numbers or deciding who has access to each number you have imported this is the place to make those changes.
To access the Phone Numbers section return to the Administration page and scroll to find the Sugar Messaging section and select Phone Numbers.
You can also access Phone Numbers via the Admin panel.
Here you will see a list of all Phone numbers you currently have available in Sugar. If you plan to add additional numbers or see no phone number records you may need to Download Phone Numbers first.
Downloading Phone Numbers
SMS Phone numbers need to be configured in your telephony platform first, once they are prepared there, they can be “Downloaded” to SugarCRM. To download your configured phone numbers:
- Expand the dropdown action menu from the Phone Numbers module header in the Sugar navigation bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Download Phone Numbers
- After a short loading screen, the list of Phone numbers should refresh and include any new phone numbers identified in your telephony account.
Note: Sugar Messaging + YTel: If you purchased a Sugar Messaging + YTel subscription from Faye then the Faye Support team can purchase and configure additional phone numbers for you.
Viewing and assigning access to Phone numbers
Opening any of the Phone number records will provide you with additional information about the number that may be useful. Importantly however it is from the Phone number record that you can scroll to the Users subpanel and see which users already have access to it for outbound messaging as well as adding or removing users to that list.
Assigning Users to Outbound Phone Numbers
Users in Sugar can select between different outbound Phone numbers they have access to from the Messaging option at the bottom of the screen, however, they will only be able to select between Phone numbers that they have been given access to.
Newly downloaded numbers are not associated with any users by default so you should open the Phone Number and link users that need access. Here is how:
1. Open the Phone Number record you want to add users to.
2. Scroll to the Users subpanel.
3. Click on the subpanels dropdown action menu and select Link Existing Record.
4. A draw will appear allowing you to search for and select the user(s) you wish to give access to the Phone number.
5. Select the users you wish to add access for and click the Add button.
6. You’ll be returned to the Phone number record and will see the users you selected now in the Users subpanel.
Sugar system administrators have access to all Phone numbers by default. Regular users will need to be associated with Phone number records in order to see them in the Messaging footer popup.
Setting the default country
When Sugar Messaging has been installed the default country is the US; this can be changed for installation in other countries.
Select Set Connector Properties
Select the Ytel tab
Update the 2 letter country code and Save.