There are new rules and legislation coming into effect that will affect SMS messaging. This legislation began with calls and is now moving to also include SMS messaging.
This starts with 10DLC. Specifically regarding local area code phone numbers, anything except for toll-free. What 10DLC means is, basically the carriers are requiring registration for campaigns and brands.
A2P 10DLC (Application-to-Person via 10-digit long code) is a program that is being implemented by the mobile carriers to support SMS/MMS message delivery that originates from an application and not another handset (P2P).
Carriers have considered A2P messaging to be unsanctioned; and, for this reason, messages were subject to throttling and/or blocking. The A2P 10DLC program has been specially designed and sanctioned for business messaging - offering simplicity, stability, delivery reliability, and security to businesses and their audiences. It will also support the volume of messaging throughput that almost any business use case might require.
Once registrations for brands and campaigns have been submitted, a decision is then made on the traffic profile specifically for the local phone numbers in question to understand the volume and velocity at which these can be sent out (if they can be sent out at all).
There are 3 tiers or categories that basically score the campaigns and the business type.
- The top tier is full approval and there are no limitations as far as sending is concerned.
- The middle tier is with the traffic toggled down or slightly reduced (for example you can send 100 messages per day depending on what the registration is approved for)
- The lowest tier is that the traffic will be denied altogether or put in very limited amounts of volume.
With 10 DLC, every organization that is using a local phone number will be required to be campaign registered.
- What is brand and campaign?
- Brand - the organization that can send the messages that are preapproved by the carrier (for example Faye).
- Campaign - is a messaging campaign, the individual use cases of messaging. It is important to note that campaigns are not just stuck on marketing.
- Where can I go to register in preparation for 10DLC?
- How many campaigns do I need to register?
- A campaign is not necessarily related to Marketing Campaigns, for example, a sales conversation between a rep and a customer would be logged as a campaign, a promotional message would be a separate campaign, etc.